29 March, 2006

And on the seventh day...

Since my last post my family and I spent a wonderful week on spring break in Mexico. Near a little town called Puerto Penasco at the top of the Gulf of California. It was an amazing, relaxing week. My kids had the opportunity to see the ocean for the first time. No TV. Simply play in the sand all day. Look for shells. I got the chance to go sea kayaking every day for several hours. What a great time!

It really reminded me of the importance of rest. Except for holiday times, we hadn’t had a vacation together in over 2 years (since the summer of 2003). Oh, we had plenty of good reasons why not. Our youngest was born during the summer of 2004. My job is extremely busy during the summer (9 months worth of work essentially “happen” during the 3 months of the summer) and our local schools started right during that time in 2005. Those are valid excuses – not reasons. We need breaks. Time away. Time to recharge. Time to get off the hamster wheel as a family and just be. Incredibly valuable time. I needed that time. I now know my family needs that time too.

I guess God knew what He was doing instituting the Sabbath. A time of rest. Amen.

No comments: