23 February, 2006

Are you an Evangelist?

As part of my business life I read a blog by Guy Kawasaki. I love his writing and his thoughts. I also have a suspicion that he's a follower of Jesus (very encouraging that someone as successful as him also has his priorities in order). You can read all about him on your own (I've linked his blog to mine) but in one of his past work lives he was the major "Evangelist" for Apple computers. "Preaching" or selling the idea of businesses using the Mac.

He just started blogging late last year. Late to the party, like me. Early on he wrote this blog http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/01/the_art_of_evan.html about the art of being an evangelist.

I love point #7. It must be easy for people to take a first step. To sell them something. To sell them an idea. To let them start following Jesus. So many times we as Christians have made the first step hard. Join our church. Walk down the aisle to the alter. Be sure to follow these rules. None of those are easy. The first step should be easy. Start Following! However you can. Whatever way that makes sense to you. The easy first step to being a follower of Jesus is to start.

I find it fascinating how the very same ideas that followers of Jesus can use to tell/share with others about who Jesus is can also be used to sell another idea. I think it's because they are universal principals. People want to belong. They want to feel like they are "in". That they are in the "know". That's how we sell them things. That's how we "sell" the idea of Jesus. Folks want to belong, to be known, to be in. Jesus provides the ultimate answers to those desires. The final answer to belonging. I hope I'm a good evangelist. I've got a great idea to sell.

No comments: